Thursday, 10 January 2013

PGCE or GTP or SCITT... WTF?

WTF in this instance obviously means what the fiddlesticks are all these acronyms.  I was pretty clear when I entered into university that I would complete my teacher training in a GTP (graduate teaching program) school placement.  And then they canceled that program this year.  And then I find this in my local paper.....

 
Which seems to imply that I can do an in-school PGCE (post graduate cirtificate of education), only it's now called SCITT (or school centered initial teacher training).  My Brain hurts!

The good thing is I can apply to the MSC or Mid-Somerset Consortium for a place in 2013.  I wanted to do practical, school based learning, partly because I believe it's the best way to learn the many aspects of education that aren't tackled in textbooks, and partly because it's salaried.  Which makes a big difference.

There are also grants offered for teachers coming in that are dependent on your marks at graduation, £5000 I believe for a 2.1 rising to a possible £9000 for a first.  Wow.  That's an incentive.

The trouble is that I must now pick a subject.  I'm looking for an English/Drama placement but it's rare to find the two.  I know that once in school it is easier to move around subjects but it would be great to train in both. 

I worry a bit about the segmentaation of subjects in schools.  Whillst I was a pupil it seemed clear that the system doesn't really cater for those who span the art/science devide.

I feel quite passionately about it because it has impacted me personally; as a music scholorship student I was put on a reduced timetable to allow time for practice, this meant no history, drama, dt, art among others, which then impacted my GCSE choice (I was allowed only 7, and did one of those a year early)  and when I left that school to prevent the same thing happening at A-level I realised that I couldn't do both creative and scientific subjects if I wanted to be considered for any of the indepth scientific proffessions.. no point maths without physics....but then I can't do this or that etc..... a veritable dillema.

However, the current system demands that you focus your studies through the education system to what you 'want to do when you grow up'.  I understand why it does this, but I have never really seen how that works in the real world, where careers change, and experience and adaptability are prized.  I long for a slightly more cross-curricular approach in which history can be taught in the context of art, english or drama, science with food and english language with it's greek, latin and french roots. 

I suppose I like the challenge of many subjects too, and feel I could teach Science (to GCSE) with the same passion as English or Art.  I know that's not how it works, and I have thought about primary teaching, where class teachers teach many subjects, but I feel I would enjoy the challenges of secondary or higher education more.

I need to do more research of options within the system, I know that UWE offers a multi-subject secondary programme but I also know that for me, a schools based PGCE would work better. 

So, after all that, a SCITT is it.  And I'd better start working on an application. 

No comments:

Post a Comment