Sunday, 25 November 2012

Micro Teaching Ideas

I've been thinking about what to cover in my Micro Teaching session.  It really is micro, only 15 minutes or so, so bevity is key, however I'd like to do something that is not only useful to my peers (my willing guinea pigs) but that is not covered in our general syllabus.

I think I'd like to look not at what we write, but how we apply ourselve to writing.  I think as creative writers (It can't just be me) we are absorbed in psychology of our characters, and of ourselves and I would like to conciously explore our own neuroses when it comes to the act of writing: the things that hold us back and prevent us from doing our best work. 

I've been reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and was relieved when she outlined all the ticks and mental twitches I had thought were uniquely and idiosyncratically mine. 

It's a powerful cathartic experience to name and shame our neuroses.  Like the story of Rumpelstiltskin, by naming the thing that fills us with fear, we gain some power of it; once it is named, we have the power to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment